Urban exploring, often abbreviated as “urbex,” has been gaining popularity in recent years as people seek to uncover the hidden, forgotten, and abandoned places within their cities. If you’re curious about what urban exploring is and how to get started, you’ve come to the right place. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into the world of urban exploring, its history, safety considerations, and tips for beginners.
What is Urban Exploring (Urbex)?
Urban exploring, or urbex, is a thrilling and sometimes unconventional hobby that involves the exploration of abandoned buildings, industrial sites, tunnels, and other man-made structures often in urban or suburban areas. It’s a quest to uncover the secrets, history, and beauty of places that have been long-forgotten by the general public. Urbex enthusiasts, known as “urban explorers,” aim to document these locations through photography, video, and storytelling.
The History of Urban Exploring
The roots of urban exploring can be traced back to the 1970s when adventurous individuals began exploring neglected and decaying buildings, particularly in large cities. Over time, this hobby has evolved into a global subculture with its own set of ethics and guidelines. Urban explorers aim to preserve the history and architectural beauty of abandoned places while respecting local laws and property rights.
Safety First: Tips for Urban Explorers
Before you embark on an urban exploring adventure, it’s crucial to prioritize safety. Here are some essential tips:
- Research: Do your homework. Learn about the location you plan to explore, its history, and any potential hazards or legal issues.
- Gear Up: Wear appropriate clothing and footwear, and bring essential gear like a flashlight, first aid kit, and a fully charged phone.
- Buddy System: Explore with a friend or let someone know your whereabouts and estimated return time.
- Respect the Environment: Leave no trace, and don’t damage or steal anything from the location.
- Legal Considerations: Always respect property rights and trespassing laws. Seek permission when necessary.
Getting Started as an Urban Explorer
If you’re ready to start urban exploring, follow these steps:
- Join Urbex Communities: Connect with experienced urban explorers on forums, social media, and local groups to gain insights and find suitable locations.
- Plan Your Adventures: Create a list of places you want to explore, and plan your visits carefully.
- Document Your Journey: Bring a camera or smartphone to capture the beauty and history of the places you explore. Sharing your experiences through blogs or social media can help grow the urbex community.
- Learn and Improve: Continuously improve your urbex skills, and stay up-to-date with safety guidelines and ethical considerations.
Urban exploring is a captivating hobby that allows you to uncover the hidden stories and treasures within the urban landscape. Remember that safety, respect for the environment, and adherence to legal and ethical guidelines should always be your top priorities. As you embark on your urbex adventures, you’ll discover the magic of forgotten places and contribute to the preservation of urban history.
Start your urban exploring journey today and be amazed by the world that exists just beyond the surface of your city’s streets. Happy exploring!